Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Reach for the Stars

It was a typical night in the dorm room. A group of people in my hall gathered in my room to chat about whatever. Several people vented about the ridiculous demands of their teachers and questioned why they were taking the class. From more than one person I heard frustration about the fact that they didn’t even know what they wanted to major in. “Why am I killing myself over an economics class for a degree I don’t even want to take?” I heard repeatedly. One was taking courses simply because his parents told him to. His profession of interest was deemed unworthy because it would not yield a good enough salary. Parents expect results if they are going to pay tens of thousands of dollars each year. But what ever happened to an education for the sake of an education?


I have one friend who is particularly passionate about medieval history and music. She took prospective classes on both subjects and fell in love with them. She finally found something that she was enthusiastic about. However, her parents told her that they would not pay money for an impractical degree. She is now entering into the business school with no idea what she wants to do with her degree, and dislikes all of her classes. I can see where parents are coming from because they are paying a lot of money for their children to have a comfortable future. However, what ever happened to “you can be whatever you want to be” and “the sky is the limit?” Are those notions deleted when the salary drops below $40,000?


I still remember when my cousin dropped out of high school to get a job with a computer technology company. My family freaked out at the thought of him dropping out of school and nagged my aunt for letting him make that decision. She said that it was his decision to make, not hers. His passion in life is computers and what makes them work. Yet he was being scrutinized for doing what he loved. My family was afraid because society tells us that without a high school and college degree we will fail. While in some cases this is true, my cousin knew that this was the best choice for him. He now makes great money, without a high school degree. 


I believe that if people are driven enough, they will be able to succeed in whatever they do. If I want to major in Russian and Philosophy, I should be able to do it. If not for the money, then for the education. Society puts so much pressure on money and one’s exterior that people forget about the importance of beautifying their interior. If you are lucky enough to find your passion in life, should shoot for the stars. If you have the enthusiasm and drive to work with that passion, you should. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! 

7 comments:

thinkagain said...

I absolutely understand what your friend is going through, being forced to take a major that disinterests her and prohibited from following her interests. I'm in the same boat. I have many, divergent interests, but my parents was making major in accounting because, as it happens, I'm ok at it. But I don't love it. I don't love it like history, anthropology, philosophy, literature, political science. I'm not passionate about it. But it pays well.

And I also want to say that it's refreshing to hear (or read) someone express a value I hold dear: learning for learning's sake. Isn't becomign a well-read, thoughtful, multilingual, modern renaissance person a worthy goal?

blogger012 said...

Hey Thyrston, I definitely have heard friends expressing the same feelings. I am hoping to study business, along with many of my friends but it all depends on making the certain GPA. Many people have said that if they don't get into the business school, they might leave SMU because they don't want to major in something that they don't really care about. I'd like to think that these people would follow their own interests and goals even if it meant changing their college plans but would they? College is about taking classes that you find interesting and learning about yourself. But does this actually happen? Parents, grades, friends...everyone is telling you to do different things and it takes a lot of strength and self-assurance to be able to make your own path. We should take classes for the sake of learning but do we really?

Charlie said...

I completely agree. I have a number of friends who came out of high school wanting to coach, or teach, or be a philosopher, and their parents wouldn't have any of it. I can understand that their parents want them to be educated, but everyone should be able to do what he or she wants to in life.

Your cousin's case is a different story. I also have a cousin that did the exact same thing, except to become a mechanic. Admittedly, computers are a much better business than being a mechanic, but nonetheless he dropped out of high school, much to the dismay of the rest of his family. Things didn't work out so well for him, however. He was unable to maintain a steady job and had trouble making it through mechanic school. Most employers wanted some type of degree, so I think that pursuing higher education, even if it was just to finish high school, would have been a very good idea.

I do agree with your main argument. Our parents and everyone else who has influence in our lives would be much better off just telling us that the sky is the limit and letting us be happy, rather than forcing us into something that might make us miserable.

Alexandra said...

My parents have always had a dream for me of graduating from a Business school but I have no interest in Business. I am bored to death and so lost in all my business classes that I can't bear the though of taking three and a half more years of Business classes. If my parents are going to pay SMU's tuition, I believe I should major in a subject that I enjoy and find interesting. I will get a better job in the long run because I will understand what I am doing and will enjoy the job at the same time. It's great for parents to support their children and have an opinion but they should not push them in a direction they will be unhappy in.

Chris Getz said...

I agree with a lot of the things you say in this post and think that it is well written. My parents pressured my sister into getting a degree in graphic design when she really liked studio art. They made her do it so that she could get a better paying job. Right now she doesn't have a job, because she doesn't like graphic design. While parents are trying to look out for their kids, they sometimes lose sight of what is important to to their children.

Blaize said...

This is such a great topic that I know so many of us can relate to. My dad is dead set on me majoring in business however everyday I dread going to my math and economics classes and because of my serious lack of interest in the subjects I have not gotten a great start. Just yesterday I actually changed my major to Art and Design which is something I've always been passionate about and am very good at. I know I can make something of myself in the future in that field and yet I still have yet to tell my dad about the recent change. Im thinking he will figure out around graduation time... Its just hard to know that he would not understand so I have to keep it a secret.

Anonymous said...

I'm sympathetic to those of you who want to choose your majors. I agree that your life's work should be your choice. However, I wonder about the parents' point of view: If they are paying for your education, why shouldn't they have some say in what their money is going towards? I can see them saying, OK, if you want to pay for your own education, then you can major in anything you want. Is there any validity to this point of view?